Fleet management is the process of managing fleet and asset information, from acquisition to disposal. The main goal is to reduce costs, improve efficiency, and ensure compliance across the entire fleet operation, including lifecycle of the company’s vehicles.
In this article, we will explore the benefits of fleet management and discuss four tips for improving it.
What are the benefits?
While challenging, managing fleet is necessary if you want your business to grow. For this reason, a technology solution can be implemented to reduce your costs and bolster the operational efficiency of your fleet.
Among the benefits of implementing fleet management are:
- The capacity to manage fuel and maintenance costs: To ensure that your vehicles are working efficiently and to keep up with their maintenance, you’ll need to keep track of consumed fuel and perform regular maintenance check-ups.
- Making real-time changes: There will be moments when you will need to make real-time changes to your fleet to achieve specific goals set. Periodic reports will allow you to make rapid decisions on the spot. Fleet management software can help with this.
- Improved driver safety: You’ll need to know if your drivers are being safe on the road and are using vehicles that are in good condition.
- Better reporting: With proper software, you’ll be able to view and review metrics and data that provide a direct line-of-sight to your operations.
- Better vehicle safety: You can also keep track of the maintenance needed for every vehicle in your fleet. Safe and reliable vehicles translate into a more efficient company.
- Longer vehicle life span: By staying organized and tracking your fleet’s needs, vehicles will naturally enjoy a longer life span.
- Higher customer retention rates: With a technology solution to manage your fleet, you can provide clients with the ability to track their goods. In the end, this translates into higher customer satisfaction and retention rates.
- Driver satisfaction: Customers and drivers will be happier if fleet management is employed. A tracking software can help enhance their day-to-day activities such as reduced downtime due to breakdowns and repairs, respond and coach drivers in real time as well as provision of safe driver rewards to keep them motivated.
- Reduced employee fraud: Handwritten timesheets can lead to employee fraud. Eliminate the need to fill out information by hand with tracking software, especially for fleet management.
- Reduced labor costs: Ensure that your drivers are not wasting time on the road thanks to GPS technology.
4 tips to improve fleet management
Here are four ways you can improve fleet management:
- Perform Preventative Maintenance
By performing preventive maintenance, you can prevent problems such as down time, costly repairs and lengthy maintenance processes from occurring, or if they do happen, they won’t be so severe.
- Tire management
Tires require constant repair. They are the third-largest operating cost, behind fuel and payroll, in a fleet.
- Efficient fuel management
It is crucial to know how much fuel the vehicles are consuming and how those numbers impact your budget. As we mentioned above, GPS devices will let you know if drivers are staying on course and using fuel efficiently.
- Go paperless
Eliminate unnecessary paperwork and go digital! Things such as paper forms and certain documents can easily be switched to a digital version.
In every business, there is always room for improvement. For this reason, fleet management is essential in companies that rely upon their fleets. You can reduce costs, improve customer and employee satisfaction, and have longer vehicle lifespans.
Learn more about how PREXA365 can help you with fleet management, inventory, workflow, and more!